Even If

When Isabella was in the NICU, we desperately prayed and asked people to pray for healing. Complete healing. We emailed to following to fellow BSF leaders the day she was born: “While this is not the birth story we pictured, we are trusting that God's story for Isabella is the most perfect one. Please pray that God miraculously heals her brain and body, that she survives and grows into a typically developing child, that God gives wisdom and guidance for the doctors, his peace for us, and that God would be glorified and his name praised.” 

We believed then and continue to believe that God is omnipotent, the creator, healer, and merciful. If it was His will, He easily could have healed Isabella. But He did not. For some reason, God knew He would be most glorified by this story - Isabella born alive, living 29.5 hours, then dying. This story was not Plan B, but always Plan A.

Saturday afternoon after she died, we waited in my hospital room for about an hour until the NILMDTS photographer to arrive. During this time, I played aloud the Mercy Me song Even If. It spoke of our trust in the Lord, even though He did choose not to heal our daughter.



One of the lines says, “It’s easy to sing when there’s nothing to bring me down. But what will I say when I’m held to the flames like I am right now?” The song references the story from Daniel 3 of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. King Nebuchadnezzar had a golden statue made measuring 90 feet tall and 9 feet wide. He commanded all people to “fall down and worship the golden image that King Nebuchadnezzar has set up. And whoever does not fall down and worship shall immediately be cast into a burning fiery furnace.”

Some members of court accused the Jewish exiles Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego of not bowing down before the statue. These three men had been appointed over affairs in Babylon and had positions of authority. Their refusal to worship the statue infuriated the king who ordered them brought before him. He said, “If you do not worship, you shall immediately be cast into a burning fiery furnace. And who is the god who will deliver you from my hands?”

They replied, “O Nebuchadnezzar, we have no need to answer you in this matter. If this be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of your hand, O king. But if not, be it known to you, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up” (Daniel 3:16-18, emphasis added).

The king ordered the furnace heated seven times hotter, had the men bound, and they were cast into the furnace. The flames were so hot that the guards who threw them into the furnace were killed. The king then saw four men walking around, unbound, and unharmed. He ordered Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego to come out. They were unhurt, no hair was singed, no clothing burned, and no scent of fire. The king was astonished, blessed the name of the Lord, commanded any who spoke against these men to be destroyed, and promoted these three men in Babylon.

This story provides the background for Even If. As Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego trusted that God could save them, they also professed their assurance in the Lord even if God did not save them. In the same way, we fully believed that God could heal our daughter and allow her to grow up as a typically developing child. But even if He did not, it would not lessen His power or authority. As the song states, “I know You’re able and I know You can, save through the fire with Your mighty hand. But even if you don’t, my hope is you alone.”

This song speaks to truth about God that we continue to cling to and believe. We decided to play this and another song during the slideshow at Isabella’s funeral.

About three weeks after Isabella died, we were brought face to face with our proclaimed faith that God can save, and sometimes chooses to. A family friend who was due two days after me and had a placental abruption during her 40th week. She had an emergency C-section and her son was without oxygen for an estimated 20 minutes. The infant and his father were airlifted to a regional hospital where he was in the NICU.

My husband and I were roughly 1,300 miles away from home on our post-funeral road trip when this happened. We “coincidentally” were two hours away from this regional hospital and were planning on driving through this city the next day.

We immediately prayed that the Lord would ransom this child’s life, heal him, and have his story one of a miraculous recovery rather than our story. However, we thought it was God’s providence that we were in the area shortly after we had walked through a strikingly similar birth and NICU story up to this point. We had the bereavement books, we knew what helped, and we were ready to aid this family in any ways we could if their son died.

The baby was in the hospital when we arrived in town. We contacted the father, asked if he wanted company, and came bearing coffee. Their son’s situation looked almost identical to Isabella’s. He was also intubated, sedated, on a cooling blanket, had oxygen deprivation and the resulting acidosis. In the father we saw the exact same hope that had characterized us when our daughter was in the NICU. Hope that our child could survive and modern medicine prevail. We sat with the father and his father-in-law for several hours, talking and just providing company. Instead of traveling through this city onto our next destination, we decided to stay for a couple of days, just in case.

The doctors had feared that this child would die, but by God’s grace, two weeks later he was discharged from the hospital. God healed him and the doctors think he has little to no permanent damage.

It was a struggle to witness the other side of “even if.” Even now, it’s a shock to confront a story of healing next to our story of loss. In their case, the numerous prayers for healing were answered in an earthly healing. Ours were answered with a heavenly healing. This family took their firstborn home. We did not. And yet God could have saved Isabella just as He had this other child.

It brought up difficult questions. Why did God choose to heal this child, and not ours? He would have been glorified if our daughter was miraculously saved, so why was that not our story? How do we trust him in daily life when He chooses not to act as we think would be most merciful?

“I know the sorrow and I know the hurt, would all go away if You’d just say the word. But even if You don’t, my hope is You alone.” Both of us believe that God could have said the word and healed Isabella. He could have saved her with His mighty hand. Yet some times he does not.

We kept coming back to choosing to trust that God is who He says He is. As another verse in the song reads, “You’ve been faithful, You’ve been good all my days. Jesus, I will cling to You, come what may. ‘Cause I know You’re able, I know You can.”

He is faithful. Even in taking our firstborn home to heaven, He is faithful and true. And He is good. Had she survived, she might have been miraculously healed. However, she likely would have had cerebral palsy and brain damage. God could have called us and equipped us to walk the path of parents of a child with special needs. That path would have been brutal. This one is too. But He chose this one for us.

We continue to cling to Him. I know that, for whatever reason, God will be most glorified in our daughter’s death and in the miraculous healing of this other child. I do not understand it. Thus, one of my most frequent prayers these days is that God would allow us to see how He is using Isabella’s death for His glory.



Lyrics
They say sometimes you win some
Sometimes you lose some And right now, right now I'm losing bad I've stood on this stage night after night Reminding the broken it'll be alright But right now, oh right now I just can't
When there's nothing to bring me down
But what will I say
When I'm held to the flame
Like I am right now
Save through the fire with Your mighty hand
But even if You don't
My hope is You alone
To move a mountain
Well good thing
A little faith is all I have, right now
But God, when You choose
To leave mountains unmovable
Oh give me the strength to be able to sing
It is well with my soul
Save through the fire with Your mighty hand
But even if You don't
My hope is You alone
I know the sorrow, and I know the hurt
Would all go away if You'd just say the word
But even if You don't
My hope is You alone
All of my days
Jesus, I will cling to You
Come what may
‘Cause I know You're able
I know You can
Save through the fire with Your mighty hand
But even if You don't
My hope is You alone
I know the sorrow, I know the hurt
Would all go away if You'd just say the word
But even if You don't
My hope is You alone
It is well, it is well with my soul

It's easy to sing
I know You're able and I know You can
They say it only takes a little faith
I know You're able and I know You can
You've been faithful, You've been good
I know You're able and I know You can
It is well with my soul
Songwriters: Bart Marshall Millard / Benjamin Glover / Crystal Lewis / David Arthur Garcia / Tim Timmons
Even If lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Capitol Christian Music Group


Comments

Popular Posts