“Early April” – Oversharing Due Date Information


Both my husband and I are frequently asked, “When is the due date?” This seems like an easy question to answer, yet for months I think I overshared whenever asked. My response was usually along these painful lines:

“I’m due in early April, but we will likely meet him in late March. Our first, Isabella, was born at 38 weeks but died the next day. Since no one knows exactly what happened, I’ll likely either have another c-section or be induced around 38 or 39 weeks. Probably a c-section, since some doctors think something happened during labor and I don’t want to go through labor again. While you can induce after a c-section, we all have some PTSD associated with Isabella’s labor and birth so it seems better to have a c-section. And, although c-sections are not preferable, I recovered well last time. So, likely sometime in March.”

Even though I internally cringed when going into this lengthy explanation, I felt like I could not just say “early April” and leave it at that. Thankfully, a couple weeks ago I realized I could say, “late March,” without feeling guilty.

Comments

Susan said…
Well, that's a brilliant solution. People who ask me about your due date usually have gotten a shorter, but still somewhat TMI-y "early April, but probably late March because..." explanation. Late March! That's the truth!

Popular Posts