Appalachian Lullaby

When I was pregnant with Isabella, I used to sing her a modified version of the Appalachian Lullaby from A Child's Gift of Lullabies. I sang, "Grow, my baby, the angels keep from you from harm; and your Father above cradles you in his love, safe and warm. Grow, my baby, nestled in your mama's womb. Grow my baby, the Savior keeps you from harm." (The fact that "womb" does not rhyme with "arm" always bothered me a bit, but "uterus" seemed worse.)

Growing up, I listened to lullabies or story tapes almost every night. Sometime after college during a stage of insomnia, I rediscovered A Child's Gift of Lullabies. One of my favorite songs is the Appalachian Lullaby. When I began feeling Isabella move around 15-16 weeks pregnant, I started singing the my version of the song to her several times a week as I drove to work.

Yesterday, I woke up with the song stuck in my head. I've modified the lyrics again. 

Well, I love my baby,
Sweet and fair:
You've got the sky in your eyes,
The sun in your hair.
God rocks you to sleep each and every night.
I sing this little song
While he's holding you tight.

Live, my baby,
The angels keep you from harm,
And your Father above
Cradles you in his love,
Safe and warm.
Live, my baby,
Nestled in the Savior’s arms.
Live, my baby,

The Savior keeps you from harm.

Lyrics adapted from "Appalachian Lullaby" on A Child's Gift of Lullabies 

Comments

Popular Posts